Saturday, July 5, 2008

Palma de Mallorca, Pontiac Fever Bristol bound

So I went to Palma de Mallorca for a few days to visit my boyfriend. I had a great time but then on the way back, my plane was delayed by 2 hours, and when we landed in Madrid, it took ages for our bags to come out. So instead of leaving the airport about 10:30 pm, we left at 1am! And of course by then all the regular buses were finished so had to take the long way to the metro, then catch a bus to my city and arrived home at 3am. I was pissed.
Damn AirEuropa.

I had been feeling a bit sniffly in Palma. At first I thought it might be something I was allergic to, (we went to an Indian restaurant with rose petals everywhere and I was sneezing) but then my throat started hurting then I thought it was some kind of cold. On the doomed Wednesday when my plane came
in so late, I felt a bit ill later on in the day, and then was feeling quite sick. I thought sleep would cure me as I hadn't been getting much. No dice. I started feeling quite bad, and Thursday I went to the doc who said it was just a chill which sometimes happened with air conditioners. Some chill! I was feeling nauseated, my muscles really hurt, my head was killing me, I had a slight fever, and my neck and back hurt so much I had to walk hunched over. I couldn't walk at my normal fast pace cause my breathing was really shallow, and I shuffled instead of walking and had to rest every few meters and I was worried I would get pneumonia. I felt like I had aged at least 30 years. I felt so tired and I lost my appetite entirely. I'm still on the reboxetine which is giving me a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

Someone mentioned Pontiac Fever which is the milder form of Legionella with all the symptoms I had. Cause this was too much for being the flu and certainly not a chill as the doctor claimed!


Symptoms

Patients with Legionnaires' disease usually have fever, chills, and a cough, which may be dry or may produce sputum. Some patients also have muscle aches, headache, tiredness, loss of appetite, loss of coordination (ataxia), and occasionally diarrhea and vomiting. Laboratory tests may show that patients’ renal functions, liver functions and electrolytes are deranged, including hyponatremia. Chest X-rays often show pneumonia with bi-basal consolidation. It is difficult to distinguish Legionnaires' disease from other types of pneumonia by symptoms or radiologic findings alone; other tests are required for diagnosis.
Persons with Pontiac fever experience fever and muscle aches without pneumonia. They generally recover in 2 to 5 days without treatment.
The time between the patient's exposure to the bacterium and the onset of illness for Legionnaires' disease is 2 to 10 days; for Pontiac fever, it is shorter, generally a few hours to 2 days.

I'm still feeling quite tired and I have to finish packing to go to Bristol in a couple of days!

On a brighter note, I've been talking to my boyfriend much more these days as since he's now based in Palma de Mallorca, he has a Spanish mobile so I call him much more. It's so cool, we are living in the same country though km away but still. Pity I'm leaving for the UK.



Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: