Friday, May 2, 2008

Jasmine tea and ADHD - my experience

I don't know why but jasmine tea often makes me concentrate a bit better. I drank two cups today and managed to fold all my clothes piled up on my chair, organize papers strewn across the floor, not all of them but I didn't do my usual bit of dumping everything to be organized, get overwhelmed and walk away. I did it sensibly! I just filed my bank bills, and cellphone bills, and those are done! I still didn't do everything I had to, but instead of the 20% I will normally do, it was more like 60%.

I started noticing the effect a couple of weeks ago, and I was curious, and yes I do notice I'm more concentrated and not as scattered. It's not miraculous but it helps! I'm doing some investigation on the internet to see if I can find something on this.

I will do further experiments to see if it's all kinds of jasmine tea or whether it's the particular brand I'm drinking and whether the effect will wear off as my body gets used to it. I don't notice the same effect from drinking red tea (Pu-erh) for example or black tea. Though black tea I generally drink with milk so if there was an effect, the milk might dilute that.

The natural culprit for this effect would be the caffeine, but caffeine normally doesn't do much for me, I'm not sensitive to it, if I drink a LOT, I will notice my heart rate is up and I'm jittery but it doesn't help my concentration so I don't bother drinking coffee, coke etc and I don't like these drinks. Not fond of Red Bull, don't like chocolate, etc. The only product with caffeine I will drink is tea.

Another effect I've noticed is that it dulls my appetite. I don't know if this is because it's affecting my appetite directly or whether it has some effect on my anxiety cause I'm an anxious eater, if I get bored, slightly stressed, etc, I will eat. What I will say is not so much I forget about food but that it doesn't seem so urgent to put something in my mouth NOW!

I do know that many people with ADHD self-medicate with food


Self medicating with food
Eating puts them into a pleasant, trance-like state that is a respite from their often active and chaotic ADD brain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i keep hearing about Jasmine tea and its positive affects on ADHD. i have inattentive type so motivation is a big struggle for me, it sounds like this might help along with other treatments so i might try this. i am willing to try anything though, coffee or tea but i would prefer tea. i don't drink soda cause i know its bad for me, but i do love chocolate, hmmm maybe dark chocolate might help a bit too.

Martin said...

Yes... It appears to have a doperminergetic effect on the brain. No research has come to this conclution but the other dopaminergetic things ( catuaba bark) that I take has the same kind of effect... Increased sexuality, increased concentration and increased happiness.